Wendy Williams Talks About Her Former Drug Addiction & Says She Deserves a Daytime Emmy
Wendy Williams just turned 54 yesterday with a party at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. The celebration served dual purposes as it was a fundraiser with proceeds going to “support youths and families suffering from addiction and substance abuse.” The donations went to her Hunter Foundation. Now for those who don’t know the history of Miss Wendy, she used to have serious issues with drug addiction which would explain why she chose this as a cause to support. She teared up when Whitney Houston passed on her show because that could have been her and we thank God it wasn’t.
In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, she said “I was a functioning addict, though,” she shared. “I report to work on time, and I’d walk in and all my co-workers, including my bosses, would know but instead of firing me, you see, I would wear my headphones and arrogantly walk in the studio and dare them to fire me because I was making ratings.”
She went on to say “[A] functioning addict has several alarm clocks, you’re organized. It’s a miracle I was able to stop.”
It’s been a decade since she started The Wendy Williams Show after making a name for herself in the 90s and 2000s with her brash interviewing style. She’s gone on to becoming the Number One show in daytime television alternating back and forth between Ellen Degeneres and being equaly successfully on Youtube, also trading spots with Ellen. The difference between the two women however is that Ellen was nominated for Emmys this year and Wendy wasn’t. During an interview with Elle she made it very clear how she felt about it and she was not happy.
“Who’s a better talk show host?!” Wendy asked. “Don’t have one! Don’t have one!” “Will probably never get one.” “But it’s okay,” Wendy says. “You know why? Because I’ve got the power of the people.” That much is true as she does have 2 million daily viewers but psst, Ellen has 3 million… (but you didn’t hear that from me). “This show is exactly what I would be watching if I [weren’t] doing it,” Wendy says. “There’s nothing out there forced.” “I do the show from a place of good,” Wendy says. “With a kind heart. And nobody to pay my bills. I can’t get slick.” Sidebar: If her husband wasn’t out cheating he could probably pay a couple bills himself but again, you didn’t hear that from me. “I need this job. I didn’t grow up rich,” Wendy says. “I like it here on TV. With finery.”
“I’m saying what I think,” Wendy says, defending the things that she says on television. “What I think, a lot of people think. They’re just too afraid to say it.” Yes Wendy, you definitely say what you think, like the time you insisted Tupac had been raped in jail. That isn’t something you hear everyday in the news. But then again Queen Latifah did say he came to a performance she had in a gay club in the early 90s so, hey…
I have a theory here and you can tell me what you think about this. Wendy is a highly successful woman and a bonafied pop culture critic but with that comes criticism of people in the industry. There’s a chance that now a full 10 years into her show being around that there are few industry executives she hasn’t insulted. With that being said, it’s hard to get nominated amongst your peers when your peers think you’re a prick. We’re still fans of Wendy and at the end of the day there’s still next year!
- VIDEO PROOF: Justin Moss aka “Jus2Flyy” is as Hung as He Says He Is - August 18, 2018
- VIDEO: Haitian Model Daniel Royal Georges is Grabbing a Handful of Meat - August 18, 2018
- Atlanta Falcons Lineback Duke Riley’s Nudes Leak - August 17, 2018
- NSFW: Meet Your Packin’ Substitute Teacher, Model BJ Williams - August 17, 2018
- News Flash: Wesley Jonathan is Still Fine + His Nudes Leak - August 17, 2018
- Invite Only Cabo’s King Agu Shows Off His Big D Energy Working Out Naked - August 17, 2018
- Omarosa Explains Why She Supported Trump Despite Believing He Used the N Word - August 16, 2018
- Marshall Price is Showing Off His Favorite Briefs with His Massive Eggplant On Display - August 16, 2018
- Sources Say Kourtney Kardashian “Distanced Herself From Her Sisters” While Dating Younes Bendjima - August 16, 2018
- Trinidadian Model Jovan Campbell aka IronAddictJovan’s Nudes Leak - August 16, 2018