Tyrone Hankerson Fired from Howard University for Stealing $429,000 in Financial Aid + Stole $1 Million with Five Others in Total
Ya’ll this is probably one of the biggest scams in a long time! An article was shared on Medium where it revealed that six employees stole around $1 million in financial aid from Howard University. Take a look at the message below:
“Phony grants were allegedly created and awarded to financial aid employees who were also registered for University courses. In some cases, these employees qualified for tuition remission and therefore weren’t charged tuition for their classes. Despite this, they still received large grants and scholarships that exceeded amounts generally awarded to normal students. These grants almost always exceeded legally allowed amounts.
In 2013, for example, the Associate Director of Financial Aid, Brian Johnson, received tuition remission, and despite this, also received “University Need Based Grants” totaling $35,400 one year and more than $68,000 the following year. These grants are intended for low-income students who are in desperate need of assistance and in danger of having their education disrupted by their inability to pay. The grant amounts usually range between $2,000 to $5,500 a semester. A current financial aid employee described the amount awarded to the former Associate Director as “unprecedented” and “illegal.” Total aid received by the Associate Director neared $200,000.
Unfortunately, however, this was not the last time a grant of that amount had been awarded. Between 2014 and 2017, another financial aid student-employee, Tyrone Hankerson, was repeatedly awarded a $65,000 “University Need Based Grant.” In 2014, Hankerson was awarded another $22,683 scholarship, labeled as a Mock Trial Scholarship. Sources who have been involved with the mock trial, including past leadership, say the team has never awarded a scholarship of that amount and wouldn’t even have had the budget to accommodate a scholarship of that amount.”
The news was later confirmed by the Howard University President himself:
BREAKING: Anonymous author posts story to Medium with records alleging Howard University stole $1 million dollars in finanicial aid funds. Howard University has yet to respond to the story’s allegations. https://t.co/VGaGK6eDfP
— The Hilltop (@TheHilltopHU) March 28, 2018
Tyrone Hankerson has since went viral as Black Twitter has had a field day:
This man stole $429,000 in Financial Aid at Howard y’all
Tyrone Hankerson, a student-employee in the Financial Aid office. Set to graduate! & Got caught
This the iconic photo we found on his Facebook??✊?
Mink Coat, Designer Bag, the FINESSE GOD TYRONE ☠☠I am DEAD pic.twitter.com/PQrYQaPXzJ
— Lew Sid (@LewSidRaps) March 28, 2018
Tyrone’s Lemonade Tracklist:
1. Try to catch me
2. Semester down
3. Don’t Play Yourself – FAFSA Remix
4. Sorry (You’re Poor)
5. 4 year scam
6. Embezzlement lessons
7. Loan Droughts
8. Sandcastles in Panama
10. Freedom – Alumi Club mix
11. Long Nights
12. Graduation pic.twitter.com/xPZQc8EaDH
— Captive to a Wig (@_KJCRAY) March 28, 2018
Tyrone Hankerson Jr. stole $429,000 from Howard University.
Months away from graduation and the scam went south.
Mink Coats, Designer Bags, personal videographer and media team. Everyone say hello to the FINESSE GOD TYRONE. pic.twitter.com/OFjPAr6QHl
— Tariq Sayed (@StyleByTariq) March 28, 2018
Tyrone after deleting all of his social media accounts pic.twitter.com/nyLKT7xZAh
— masc potatoes (@CertifiedFool_) March 28, 2018
college is a scam anyway.
Tyrone just scammed it back.
— B U R K E (@JustBryan_) March 28, 2018
Tyrone was living his best lives with our financial aid pic.twitter.com/7GLTqC5NSU
— Jae’Challa (@BLOWthisJAE_) March 28, 2018
Morehouse Financial Aid when they heard abt Howard and Tyrone. pic.twitter.com/YDE2Xcsg0y
— J. Smith (@Sir_JaLon) March 28, 2018
You mean to tell me Tyrone, finessed the financial aid office of one of the most prestigious HBCU’s for $429K and NOBODY noticed.
The whole Howard financial aid gotta catch the fades of every student that ever had they schedule purged.
— S. Chris (@SChrisW) March 28, 2018
Lord, why did his name have to be Tyrone?? ??
— Nina Mosley (@_kyranyse) March 28, 2018
This Howard financial aid fraud isn’t funny but like come on… Tyrone… with the Gucci messenger bag on the shoulder… “bag secured” caption…. pic.twitter.com/Hrn3ESqp2S
— Ty$ (@TyNicole___) March 28, 2018
- Michael B. Jordan Shows Off Six Pack Abs + Talks Empowering Women in Essence June 2018 Issue - May 18, 2018
- LISTEN: Jennifer Lopez Featuring Cardi B & DJ Khaled – ‘Dinero’ - May 18, 2018
- Emily B Reveals New Teeth Following Domestic Dispute with Rapper & Boyfriend Fabolous - May 7, 2018
- IT’S ABOUT TIME: Janet Jackson to Receive the 2018 Billboard Icon Award - May 7, 2018
- Khloe Kardashian & Tristan Thompson are “Fully” Back Together + Couple Spotted for the First Time in Public Since Cheating Scandal - May 5, 2018
- DJ Khaled Gets Dragged on Twitter for Saying He Doesn’t Perform Oral Sex on His Wife because He’s the King of the House - May 4, 2018
- WATCH: Nicki Minaj Releases Official Videos for ‘Barbie Tingz’ & ‘Chun Li’ - May 4, 2018
- Michael Blackson to Kanye West: If Slavery Was a Choice then So Was Your Wife’s Paris Robbery - May 3, 2018
- GLAM SHOTS: Rihanna Talks Reason for Launching Fenty Beauty, No Longer Being Friends with Drake & More in Vogue’s June 2018 Issue - May 3, 2018
- WATCH: Celine Dion & Deadpool Collide for a Hilariously Great Performance in ‘Ashes’ Official Music Video - May 3, 2018