The Songbird and “Eternally 12” Mariah Carey Turns 48 Today
Today is the 47th birthday of one of the best selling female artists in history, Mariah Carey. Not that any of us could tell. She just performed for New Years Eve in a onesie, something, many have stopped wearing a full decade before reaching her age. We just hope that by the time she’s Madonna’s age, who’s nearly 10 years her elder she doesn’t go out and get butt implants like her and insist on going around being stark naked all the time, or get a man 20 years her junior at 50 like Kylie Minogue.
Her birthday comes a day after Diana Ross and two after Aretha Franklin, so this is clearly a week of the greats in music. Mariah, however doesn’t count her birthdays, she calls them her anniversaries. In fact, she stopped counting years ago as she calls herself “eternally 12.” For someone who has had a career with such insane ups an downs, she says she looks at herself as forever being 12 as a defense mechanism. She explained this in an ’08 Parade Magazine interview below:
“I’m eternally 12. And that 12-year-old inside me is an eternal optimist,” the lamb and rainbows enthusiast said. “I know what it feels like not to have fame or money, and I do still feel like that same person in many ways. Honestly, I don’t even have birthdays. I call them ‘anniversaries’. It really is about being as young as you feel. Some people convince themselves they’re old, or they think, ‘I have to grow up now; I can’t have fun.’ I will still always choose a day at Disney World over a night in Las Vegas, because that’s who I am.”
In a 2014 Complex Magazine feature, Mariah jokes, “I don’t have a birthday. I was just dropped here. It was a fairyland experience.” We’re also sure that while she does it so well, keeping herself looking “eternally 12” does take just a tad bit of work. She reportedly spends a whopping $46,000 a year on spa treatments… but for her 8 dogs, so one can only imagine what she spends on herself. Not that she needs to count. Her net worth is over $500 million, and that’s after her divorce so she’s doing just fine.
The twice divorced songbird was just out twinning with her ex Nick Cannon and her twins Moroccan and Monroe this weekend at the Kids Choice Awards. But it wasn’t just any normal way of dressing alike. Mariah and the girl twin Monroe dressed in black leather while Nick dressed in white and orange jump suits to match the boy twin Moroccan. Considering they’re exes, this was genius. I wouldn’t want to dress like my ex either. They still look cute together anytime they’re around each other so it still worked out in the end. Last year they did the same except Nick had his arms out and wore shorts. This year he was a little more covered up. Considering what good shape he’s in, it’s probably a good thing he covered the guns unless he’s trying to bring the two back together. Then again, her new boyfriend, backup dancer Bryan Tanaka doesn’t look too bad himself.
And it would not be like us to talk about Mariah Carey without discussing one of her famed feuds. There really are only two, Jennifer Lopez (who she’s worth far more than to be about the same age) and Nicki Minaj. Nicki Minaj threatened to shoot Mariah on set of American Idol. That’s about as good of a reason to hold a grudge if any. Well Mariah took an exceptional move in being petty by moving into the Los Angeles home Nicki moved out of after breaking up with her ex Safaree. Ouch. Whether this was done intentionally is not known she definitely wins the Petty award for that one.
For her birthday, we’ve put together some of our favorite Mariah Carey moments below:
- #ThrowbackThursday: Keke Wyatt & Dondria Surprise Nene Leakes for Her Birthday Singing ‘My First Love’ - April 19, 2018
- Hotep Jesus aka @VibeHi Appears on Fox News’ Laura Ingraham to Discuss His Coffee Reparations Voucher Viral Video - April 19, 2018
- Marlo Hampton Proves Kenya Moore’s been Looking for a White Sugar Daddy WITH RECEIPTS - April 19, 2018
- ‘Cash Me Ousside’ Girl vs Nicki Minaj Round 1: Will Nicki Clap Back or Ignore Her? - April 18, 2018
- Rapper Kodak Black’s Year Prison Sentence Gets Cut In Half & Calls His Arrest a Blessing in Disguise - April 18, 2018
- Kendrick Lamar’s Now the First Rapper to Win the Pulitzer Prize - April 18, 2018
- #StarbucksChallenge: Hotep Author Hotep Jesus aka @VibeHi Goes to Starbucks Demanding a Coffee Reparations Voucher - April 16, 2018
- Alexis Skyy Posts Thirst Trap & The Internet Responds Telling Her to Take Care of Her Kid - April 15, 2018
- Watch Beyonce’s Full 2018 Coachella Performance Here – Her Blackest Performance Yet - April 15, 2018
- Toni Braxton Cuts Tamar from Her Tour + Tamar to Join RHOA & Getting a Bravo Spinoff Show? - April 15, 2018