Serena Williams Says Motherhood Sometimes Gets Her Down
Serena Williams is known for being one of the strongest black females in pop culture today both physically and mentally from the 20+ years she’s been a pro-tennis player to her amazing body but even she has her vulnerabilities. The 36 year old who’s on the cover of February’s Vogue told the fashion magazine about some of the “the low moments” of motherhood with the child she had with husband and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian.
“Sometimes I get really down and feel like, ‘Man, I can’t do this,'” Williams confessed. “It’s that same negative attitude I have on the court sometimes. I guess that’s just who I am.”
“No one talks about the low moments — the pressure you feel, the incredible letdown every time you hear the baby cry. I’ve broken down I don’t know how many times,” she added. “The emotions are insane.”
One might ask how could someone on the success level of Serena have anxiety about anything, much less being a mother? The CDC says between 11 and 20% of new mothers experience postpartum depression in the United States. Serena did say that being a mother has helped curb some of her anxiety issues, a good thing for expecting mothers because many would think the exact opposite would be the case.
“It’s not a secret I have my sights on 25,” the star said, referencing her goal of setting a Grand Slam titles record. “And actually, I think having a baby might help. When I’m too anxious I lose matches, and I feel like a lot of that anxiety disappeared when Olympia was born.”
“Knowing I’ve got this beautiful baby to go home to makes me feel like I don’t have to play another match,” she explained. “I don’t need the money or the titles or the prestige. I want them, but I don’t need them. That’s a different feeling for me.”
All of the pressures of motherhood are worth it in the end. In an Instagram post Wednesday showing her and her child posing together, she cried.
“When I first saw this @voguemagazine cover it brought tears to my eyes. All Vogue covers are special but to share this one with my beautiful daughter @olympiaohanian also the youngest Vogue cover star makes it moment I will never forget,” she wrote.
- TRUE STORY!! Nancy Pelosi’s Going to Appear on RuPaul’s Drag Race - January 19, 2018
- Kodak Black Arrested on 7 Felony Counts with His Home Raided Live on Video - January 19, 2018
- Did Chance the Rapper Just Announce He’s Having Another Baby? - January 19, 2018
- Rapper Chamillionaire Wants to Help Deported Illegal Jorge Garcia - January 18, 2018
- ‘Superfly’ is Coming Back Starring Trevor Jackson and Jason Mitchell - January 17, 2018
- #SayWhatNow: George Clinton Says He Wants to Work with Cardi B - January 17, 2018
- Tyga Releases the Video for ‘Temperature’ with His New Kylie Jenner Lookalike - January 16, 2018
- Remy Ma’s Teamed Up with Chris Brown on ‘Melanin Magic’ - January 16, 2018
- No, Donald Trump, You Do Not Get to Call Other Countries Shitholes - January 12, 2018
- Kyle Richards Says NONE of the Men on Real Housewives of New York are Marriage Material - January 12, 2018