Serena Williams Says Motherhood Sometimes Gets Her Down
Serena Williams is known for being one of the strongest black females in pop culture today both physically and mentally from the 20+ years she’s been a pro-tennis player to her amazing body but even she has her vulnerabilities. The 36 year old who’s on the cover of February’s Vogue told the fashion magazine about some of the “the low moments” of motherhood with the child she had with husband and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian.
“Sometimes I get really down and feel like, ‘Man, I can’t do this,'” Williams confessed. “It’s that same negative attitude I have on the court sometimes. I guess that’s just who I am.”
“No one talks about the low moments — the pressure you feel, the incredible letdown every time you hear the baby cry. I’ve broken down I don’t know how many times,” she added. “The emotions are insane.”
One might ask how could someone on the success level of Serena have anxiety about anything, much less being a mother? The CDC says between 11 and 20% of new mothers experience postpartum depression in the United States. Serena did say that being a mother has helped curb some of her anxiety issues, a good thing for expecting mothers because many would think the exact opposite would be the case.
“It’s not a secret I have my sights on 25,” the star said, referencing her goal of setting a Grand Slam titles record. “And actually, I think having a baby might help. When I’m too anxious I lose matches, and I feel like a lot of that anxiety disappeared when Olympia was born.”
“Knowing I’ve got this beautiful baby to go home to makes me feel like I don’t have to play another match,” she explained. “I don’t need the money or the titles or the prestige. I want them, but I don’t need them. That’s a different feeling for me.”
All of the pressures of motherhood are worth it in the end. In an Instagram post Wednesday showing her and her child posing together, she cried.
“When I first saw this @voguemagazine cover it brought tears to my eyes. All Vogue covers are special but to share this one with my beautiful daughter @olympiaohanian also the youngest Vogue cover star makes it moment I will never forget,” she wrote.
- King Agu from Bravo’s ‘Invite Only Cabo’ Gets Butt Naked On Instagram - June 22, 2018
- Rapper XXXTentacion Revealed to Have Died While His Girlfriend was Pregnant - June 22, 2018
- Today’s Lesson In Petty: When You Find Out a Person You’ve Never Heard of Blocks You - June 22, 2018
- Eye Candy: Miami Fitness Trainer Eric Nicoleau - June 21, 2018
- Keith Carlos has been Thirst Trapping on Instagram Again - June 20, 2018
- Matt Barnes Tells Tekashi69 He’s Going to End Up Dead Like XXXTentacion Trying to be Hard - June 20, 2018
- XXXTentacion Fans Riot & Jump Off Roofs in Chaotic L.A. Memorial Over Dead Rapper - June 20, 2018
- Heather Locklear Admitted to the Hospital for Psych Evaluation After Threatening Suicide - June 18, 2018
- Rapper XXXTenacion Dies at 20 Following Gunshot in Miami - June 18, 2018
- Tori Spelling Gets Embarrassed by the Internet Posting Photoshopped Bikini Pic & Deletes It - June 18, 2018