Pirelli Announces All Black Calendar Featuring RuPaul, Naomi Campbell, Diddy & More
Every year, Pirelli does a calendar with a specific theme and this year, things are getting very magical. The 2018 Pirelli Calendar by Tim Walker and is based on Lewis Carroll‘s classic tale: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, which is one of my favorites.
What makes it magical is that it features Naomi Campbell as the iconic Queen of Hearts as well as Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong’o as the dormouse, Sean “Diddy” Combs as the King of Hearts, Whoopi Goldberg as the Royal Duchess and Sasha Lane as the March Hare.
Legendary drag queen and TV personality, RuPaul, also stars as the Queen of Hearts and Djiomn Hounsou as the King of Hearts as well.
The calendar was styled by Edward Enninful, the newly appointed editor of British Vogue, the first person of color to have held the post. When speaking about the shoot, photogrpaher Tim Walker stated:
“It’s never been done before. Alice has never been told like this.”
South African model Thando Hopa, who plays the Princess of Hearts added:
“I actually phoned him up and I was like: ‘Let’s sit down and talk.’ He said … any person with a different colour should be able to see themselves in any way. So any girl, whether she is black or Chinese or Indian, they should be able to have their own fairytale.
This is an important step in culture development – to push images that aren’t generic, that don’t conform to stereotypes.”
She finished her statement with a talk about diversity and how anyone can be any fairytale character they want, no matter what color they are:
“I hope that people see the intention of this. Personally I don’t find it controversial … I think people really should see the end goal and not obsess in the myopia … this is a unifying effort because now you have Alice looking differently from the way she does. Alice can be anyone.”
- NeNe Says The Girls Manipulated What She Said about Kim Zolciak + Calls Sheree S***ty - February 23, 2018
- Tamar & Vince Reveal that They are in Counseling & NOT Divorcing During ‘The View’ Appearance - February 23, 2018
- Tisha Campbell-Martin Files for Divorce from Duane Martin after 21 Years of Marriage - February 22, 2018
- LISTEN: Remix of Beyonce’s ‘Sweet Dreams’ Surfaces on Tidal and Apple Music - February 22, 2018
- Janelle Monae Comes Out as Bisexual & Talks The POWER of Black Women in New Songs ‘Make Me Feel’ & ‘Django Jane’ - February 22, 2018
- Former ‘Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood’ Star Hazel-E Gets a Black History Lesson & Addresses Colorism Issues on ‘Iyanla: Fix My Life’ - February 22, 2018
- Eva Marcille Blasts Shamea Morton for Outing Her “Relationship” with Missy Elliott + Shamea Responds - February 21, 2018
- WATCH: Rapper 6ix9ine Gets Jumped at LAX after Calling Out Haters - February 21, 2018
- Wendy Williams Reveals Graves’ Disease Diagnosis + Announces Show Hiatus - February 21, 2018
- THE GAME HAS CHANGED: Cast Appears as Kings & Queens of Cards in New ‘Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta’ Teaser - February 21, 2018