MTV’s ‘Catfish’ Co-host Max Joseph Just Announced Quitting After 7 Seasons
MTV’s Catfish, a show dedicated to finding people who are pretending to be someone else online and exposing them on national television in front of the person they were seeking to deceive. Seven seasons into the show being on the air along with 4 global spinoffs in Colombia, Chile, Brazil and Mexico, the show has done exceptionally well over the years. The problem is that while living in the age of the #MeToo movement, the show got swept up in the cross hairs and ended up filming suspended as well as the show’s host Nev Schulman suspended. Left behind was the show’s co-host Max Joseph. Working with someone being accused of sexual assault isn’t easy especially when you’re not working because of the allegations. In the end it was revealed that the allegations were unsubstantiated but by then, Max was preparing to tip toe out of the door. He just made a statement today about quitting the show.
“Hey guys, the time has come, sadly, for me to move on from Catfish. Working on this show for the last seven years has been one of the most meaningful experiences of my life. I’ve learned a lot about myself, my country and human nature in general. Nev and I have become brothers and our bromance has blossomed before your eyes,” Max said in a statement (via E! News). “For a while now I have been straddling two careers as TV host and filmmaker and, while this level of busy-ness is a dream come true, my life can no longer sustain it. With Ma still going strong after 7 seasons, 115 episodes, 31 specials and showing no sign of slowing down, I feel it is finally the time for me to make my exit.”
“Although I have a heavy heart, I am also excited for everything that’s to come for myself, for Nev, for our crew and for the show. Thank you for watching, thank you for the love and for the memes,” he finished.
Nev responded in a statement expressing his gratitude for the number of years they worked together making television magic saying “Working with Max on Catfish has been one of the most meaningful experiences of my life. What started as a casual friendship quickly turned into a brotherhood. Thanks to Max, over the last six years I’ve learned as much about the internet and society as I have about myself. Max isn’t just a co-host, he’s a partner. His ability to listen, empathize and advise is astounding. Nobody cuts through the noise and dishes the hard truth better than he does. I’m going to miss him a lot.”
He added, “He’s my best friend and one of the best colleagues anyone could hope for. As sad as I am though that Max is leaving the show, it brings me great joy to know that he is following his heart. While selfishly I’d love to keep him all to myself, I know that unleashing the creativity and passion that he has will benefit so many of us. If you don’t already know about Max’s amazing work as a filmmaker, check out his website maxjoseph.com. Good luck, my friend, and there’s really no excuse why you can’t video chat in from time to time ;)”
This is what happens when people go out of their way to ruin the careers of other people. Even if you know it’s going to be thrown out of court and it’s done for attention, revenge or what have you, there are consequences to these types of allegations. Sure Catfish will continue without Max but it’s likely not going to be the same. There’s always a gamble in casting changes in hosting a show and this drama with the woman who falsely claimed he sexually assaulted her for whatever reason is the cause. Nev’s also a newly wed as he just tied the knot last year. Could you imagine marrying a man and 6 months later he’s being accused of sexual assault and was suspended from work to spend all day in the house with you? All I’m asking is that we be a little more prudent in our decisions regarding the #MeToo movement and don’t jump to any conclusions too quickly.
Glitzers, do you think Catfish is going to survive with Max? Any suggestions on who his replacement should be?
- Teyana Taylor Quits Jeremih’s Tour Calling Him a Lazy, Sneaky, Conniving Diva Sitting in His “Princess Chair” - August 15, 2018
- Safaree Gets Offered a $500k Book Deal + Endorsement with Hair Club For Men After Nicki Twitter Beef - August 15, 2018
- Kylie Jenner & Travis Scott React to Nicki Minaj Exposing Kylie’s Ex Tyga for Getting Hair Transplant Surgery - August 15, 2018
- Lyrica Anderson Gets Confirmed as Pregnant + Roccstar Claims He Slept with Her Too So Who’s the Father? - August 15, 2018
- LOL: Safaree Shows How Nicki Minaj Dragged Him All Day On Twitter & He Ended Up Trending & Not Her - August 15, 2018
- Meek Mill Chimed In On Nicki Minaj Roasting Safaree Today - August 14, 2018
- Dannity Kane Just Announced a Reunion Tour with Aubrey O’Day, Dawn Richard, Shannon Bex as DK3 - August 14, 2018
- WAIT: Safaree Says Nicki Minaj Stabbed & Tried to Kill Him + She Says He Hired Prostitutes & Is Calling Him Sis - August 14, 2018
- Rihanna Says She Loves that Her Abuser Chris Brown is Still Obsessed with Her + Her Home Gets Swarmed By Police - August 14, 2018
- UPDATE: Aretha Franklin is Now Under Hospice Care Following Long Cancer Battle - August 14, 2018