Jhene Aiko Clarifies Misconceptions about Her Cheating on Ex-Husband Dot Da Genius with Big Sean
On Monday, singer-songwriter Jhene Aiko became a trending topic following an interview where she spoke about her friendship turned relationship with rapper Big Sean.
When speaking with BBC Radio 1Xtra, Jhene stated that she and Sean became friends in 2012 shortly before her brother Miyagi passed away from cancer:
“We became friends the year that my brother passed. had just met him and we worked on ‘Beware’ and ‘I’m Gonna Be.’ He wanted to take me out on a date. I had a boyfriend, but I still went…just as a friend. I had never been courtside to a game and he’s cool. I told my boyfriend ‘I’m gonna go to this game.'”
Her relationship with the ex ended soon after she found out he was “secretly” married and Sean was in a relationship with Ariana Grande at the time so Jhene couldn’t pursue.
Some readers took this to mean that she cheated on her then-boyfriend while others thought it was about her ex-husband Dot Da Genius, who she privately married and divorced some years later:
YALL NOT GONE DISRESPECT JHENÉ AIKO LIKE SHE’S SOME KINDA HO
— grandmama shay ?. (@lilbratzzdoll) February 12, 2018
Jhene Aiko cheated on her nigga to find the love of her life. Ladies with boyfriends, take notes.
— ? (@BigLNBM) February 12, 2018
Jhene Aiko wasn’t wrong for going on a date with Big Sean. She was in a toxic relationship with Dot Da Genius. He had a whole family & a secret wife while dating Jhene.
My issue is, how Jhene gonna make a whole verse promoting eating booty like groceries when she hates it.
— ??????????? (@nuffsaidNY) February 12, 2018
Oh so Jhene Aiko EX had a whole family on her? I would’ve been sitting courtside with Big Sean ass too. pic.twitter.com/w9EjQEqoFl
— GEM (@ROZtheCreator) February 12, 2018
so niggas mad cause Jhené Aiko went on a date with Big Sean while she was in a relationship.. y’all found out the man had a whole secret wife and family and she’s still being shamed.. lmfao what
— courtney ? (@youngcourttv) February 12, 2018
Big sean: “Don’t you got a bf tho?”
Jhene aiko: “oh no he’s just a friend” pic.twitter.com/0Ge4n8xBLA
— life isnt safe for u (@jamieNoitsJaime) February 12, 2018
Jhenè Aiko fucking up the game for us. We can’t even use “he’s just a friend” anymore. She’s cancelled.
— Hotep Princess ✨ (avoiding suspension) (@DimplesBePlayin) February 12, 2018
Jhene noticed that she was trending and even read a few of the comments and realized she had time yesterday so she cleared up the misconceptions about their relationship in a string of tweets:
- Michael B. Jordan Shows Off Six Pack Abs + Talks Empowering Women in Essence June 2018 Issue - May 18, 2018
- LISTEN: Jennifer Lopez Featuring Cardi B & DJ Khaled – ‘Dinero’ - May 18, 2018
- Emily B Reveals New Teeth Following Domestic Dispute with Rapper & Boyfriend Fabolous - May 7, 2018
- IT’S ABOUT TIME: Janet Jackson to Receive the 2018 Billboard Icon Award - May 7, 2018
- Khloe Kardashian & Tristan Thompson are “Fully” Back Together + Couple Spotted for the First Time in Public Since Cheating Scandal - May 5, 2018
- DJ Khaled Gets Dragged on Twitter for Saying He Doesn’t Perform Oral Sex on His Wife because He’s the King of the House - May 4, 2018
- WATCH: Nicki Minaj Releases Official Videos for ‘Barbie Tingz’ & ‘Chun Li’ - May 4, 2018
- Michael Blackson to Kanye West: If Slavery Was a Choice then So Was Your Wife’s Paris Robbery - May 3, 2018
- GLAM SHOTS: Rihanna Talks Reason for Launching Fenty Beauty, No Longer Being Friends with Drake & More in Vogue’s June 2018 Issue - May 3, 2018
- WATCH: Celine Dion & Deadpool Collide for a Hilariously Great Performance in ‘Ashes’ Official Music Video - May 3, 2018