Jhene Aiko Clarifies Misconceptions about Her Cheating on Ex-Husband Dot Da Genius with Big Sean
On Monday, singer-songwriter Jhene Aiko became a trending topic following an interview where she spoke about her friendship turned relationship with rapper Big Sean.
When speaking with BBC Radio 1Xtra, Jhene stated that she and Sean became friends in 2012 shortly before her brother Miyagi passed away from cancer:
“We became friends the year that my brother passed. had just met him and we worked on ‘Beware’ and ‘I’m Gonna Be.’ He wanted to take me out on a date. I had a boyfriend, but I still went…just as a friend. I had never been courtside to a game and he’s cool. I told my boyfriend ‘I’m gonna go to this game.'”
Her relationship with the ex ended soon after she found out he was “secretly” married and Sean was in a relationship with Ariana Grande at the time so Jhene couldn’t pursue.
Some readers took this to mean that she cheated on her then-boyfriend while others thought it was about her ex-husband Dot Da Genius, who she privately married and divorced some years later:
YALL NOT GONE DISRESPECT JHENÉ AIKO LIKE SHE’S SOME KINDA HO
— grandmama shay 🦋. (@lilbratzzdoll) February 12, 2018
Jhene Aiko cheated on her nigga to find the love of her life. Ladies with boyfriends, take notes.
— 🐐 (@BigLNBM) February 12, 2018
Jhene Aiko wasn’t wrong for going on a date with Big Sean. She was in a toxic relationship with Dot Da Genius. He had a whole family & a secret wife while dating Jhene.
My issue is, how Jhene gonna make a whole verse promoting eating booty like groceries when she hates it.
— 𝕓𝕣𝕠𝕜𝕖𝕝𝕪𝕟𝕚𝕥𝕖 (@nuffsaidNY) February 12, 2018
Oh so Jhene Aiko EX had a whole family on her? I would’ve been sitting courtside with Big Sean ass too. pic.twitter.com/w9EjQEqoFl
— GEM (@ROZtheCreator) February 12, 2018
so niggas mad cause Jhené Aiko went on a date with Big Sean while she was in a relationship.. y’all found out the man had a whole secret wife and family and she’s still being shamed.. lmfao what
— courtney 🌹 (@youngcourttv) February 12, 2018
Big sean: “Don’t you got a bf tho?”
Jhene aiko: “oh no he’s just a friend” pic.twitter.com/0Ge4n8xBLA
— life isnt safe for u (@jamieNoitsJaime) February 12, 2018
Jhenè Aiko fucking up the game for us. We can’t even use “he’s just a friend” anymore. She’s cancelled.
— Hotep Princess ✨ (avoiding suspension) (@DimplesBePlayin) February 12, 2018
Jhene noticed that she was trending and even read a few of the comments and realized she had time yesterday so she cleared up the misconceptions about their relationship in a string of tweets:
- Meek Mill Finally Released from Prison on Bail - April 24, 2018
- WATCH: Everyone is Beefing in ‘Basketball Wives’ Season 7 First Look Trailer - April 24, 2018
- NEW MUSIC: J. Cole Returns with New Album ‘KOD’ (Stream It Now) - April 20, 2018
- WATCH: Ariana Grande Returns with Emotional Power Pop Anthem ‘No Tears Left to Cry’ - April 20, 2018
- #PoorMichelle No More: Michelle Williams Engaged to Pastor Bae Chad Johnson - April 19, 2018
- WATCH: Keely Drags Sierra for Not Being There for Shooter & Karlie Redd Tries to Pop Her - April 18, 2018
- Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran & Bruno Mars Lead 2018 Billboard Music Awards with 15 Nods Each + See Full Nominations list - April 17, 2018
- Beyonce to Give $100,000 to Four HBCU’s - April 16, 2018
- OMG: Former ‘That’s So Raven’ Star Orlando Brown Get Arrested by Bounty Hunters in His Underwear (VIDEO) - April 13, 2018
- WATCH: The Weeknd ‘Call Out My Name’ Official Music Video - April 13, 2018