I.O.I Reimagines Salt-N-Pepa’s Classic ‘Whatta Man’
Covers and reworks are always a tough affair. It’s easy to run the risk of doing a direct cover that doesn’t live up to the original or trying to really think outside the box with the song. Luckily this time it works well.
I.O.I’s newly formed sub-unit debuts with a twist on a rap classic, Whatta Man. It’s obvious from the spelling that they were channeling Salt-N-Pepa’s version of the song and not the original song What A Man by Linda Lyndell which of course Salt-N-Pepa sampled for their song.
To really capture the essence of Salt-N-Pepa, I.O.I had to crank up the rapping and inject some soulful melisma to their vocals. En Vogue is a tough act to follow as they were featured on Salt-N-Pepa’s version. I.O.I isn’t a direct cover. It has its own flair and KPop added to make it their own. The video is cute and pretty.
The dance sequences are pretty good and the girls bring a good energy to the movements. The styling for the video is great. The black outfits look amazing. However, they do look an awful lot like Girls Generation look for You Think. Take a look at the video and the live performances below:
- NEW MUSIC: Mel C Finds A New Groove On “Anymore” - September 10, 2016
- Red Velvet End The Summer With ‘Russian Roulette’ Comeback - September 6, 2016
- K-POPNATION: Spica Goes Retro R&B On ‘Secret Time’ Comeback - August 30, 2016
- Britney Spears – Glory [Deluxe Edition] (Album Review) - August 29, 2016
- NEW MUSIC: Mollie King’s Heartfelt Solo Debut With ‘Back To You’ - August 24, 2016
- SM Unleashes’ Yuri & Seohyun’s EDM Masterpiece ‘Secret’ - August 24, 2016
- Exclusive: #WhoIsFHB? New Teaser Image Surfaces - August 23, 2016
- GLAM SHOT: 2NE1’s CL Goes Natural For Elle Korea September Issue - August 19, 2016
- K-POPNATION: Cosmic Girls Go To Infinity And Beyond In ‘Secret’ Comeback - August 18, 2016
- NEW MUSIC: CL Makes Her Boring US Debut With ‘Lifted’ - August 18, 2016