Fashion Icon Mychael Knight Dies at Age 39
The world of fashion comes to a halt today as the realm morns the loss of the 39 year old, Project Runway alum; Mychael Knight.
Obvious Magazine reported that Mychael died at 7:25 am EST outside of Atlanta, GA on October 17, 2017. He was surrounded by his loving family and friends who are requesting their privacy be respected during this time of bereavement.
The family issued an official statement to the publication stating:
“We are still processing the untimely death of our son, brother, friend, and uncle. Mychael meant everything to us and we loved him dearly. He was generous and so full of life. This is how we choose to remember his legacy.”
According to TMZ, the designer recently checking into a hospital where he was receiving treatment for intestinal issues. No official word has been released regarding his cause of death.
Mychael first caught our attention on the 3rd season of Project Runway that aired on Bravo at the time. He however only managed to secure a fourth place finish behind his compatriots. He was later invited back for the third season of Project Runway All-Stars where he placed eighth.
Andy Cohen posted of the designer on Twitter, “I am so sad to hear about Mychael Knight. When he appeared on #ProjectRunway he was the sweetest guy, full of life, ambition & talent. #rip”. In another tweet, he continued; “You may also remember Mychael helping @IamSheree w/#SheBySheree on #RHOA. He was a straight out sweetheart #RIP.”
After his time on Project Runway, the designer appeared on BET’s Rip The Runway and designed a line of custom tees for Starbucks.
Sherri Shepherd, who Mychael has worked with for a number of year, expressed her grief on Instagram. In one of her many posts she wrote:
My heart hurts so much today bc I lost my friend, my little brother @mychaelknight. I was a fan of Mychael’s since I first saw him on #ProjecctRunway & when @jawnmurray finally put us together, it was a match made in #heaven. We clicked immediately & Mychael said he was going to be my stylist for the long haul. He had a wicked sense of humour and was the most creative man I knew. Mychael had a sixth sense when it came to styling women… he brought out the best of your features and I always felt like a princess when he styled me. Mychael taught me that Spanx is a girl’s best friend and Lord help me if someone took a pic of me & I wasn’t red carpet ready. I respected his business acumen, his honesty and integrity. When he said he wanted to collaborate w me on a curvy line of clothing for women, I thought we’d struck gold. The blush gown I am wearing, Mychael custom designed & sewed (in 24 hours) for the daytime Emmys. Mychael how I wish your dreams weren’t cut short – but so thankful for the time I was allowed to be a part of your life. I know you are in #heaven updating the Angels’ wardrobe (“Lord! Wings are so 90s!”). I love you my friend #RIP #alwaysafan.
The Popglitz team sends our sincerest condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of Mychael in their time of grief.
- Fashion Icon Mychael Knight Dies at Age 39 - October 17, 2017
- President Trump Claims His Predecessor Didn’t Call Bereaved Military Families and the Obama Supporters are Not Having It - October 17, 2017
- The Results are In: Bachelor in Paradise’s Sexual Assault Investigation is Over - June 20, 2017
- Remembering Orlando: One Year Anniversary of the Pulse Nightclub Shooting - June 12, 2017
- “Bachelor in Paradise” Suspended Due to Alleged Sexual Assault on Set - June 12, 2017
- Multiple Shooting in Orlando - June 5, 2017
- Prince Harry Receives Royal Permission to Marry Meghan Markle - May 17, 2017
- Jamaican Olympic Gold Medalist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Reports that She’s Pregnant - March 8, 2017
- The Obamas Sign Multi-Million Dollar Book Deal - March 7, 2017
- NFL Player Aldon Smith Is Being Investigated in a Domestic Incident - February 14, 2017