Chance the Rapper Announces $1 Million Donation to Chicago Public Schools
In a time where discussions of arts funding is being cut in public schools, Chicago rapper Chance the Rapper has donated $1 million to public schools in his hometown with 10 schools getting $10,000 checks as part of the donation. The Chicago Bulls said they would be matching his $1 million donation. On top of that he announced he would be creating the Chance Arts and Literature Fund which will go towards schools that have seen decreases in five year graduation rates.
These fundraising efforts began after a meeting with the Governor failed to sustain school funding as Chance saw fit, so he announced his own fundraising goals and has become quite the model citizen in the process. Instead of complaining, he did something about it.
After Chance’s first $1 million dollar donation, Billboard magazine published a letter from 3 10th grade students written to him. “You’re more than just an artist to us, you are a way of life,” they wrote. “You make music that we can relate to on many levels, because you know what living in Chicago is like, and you want to make changes in the city. We may not be from the same side but we come from the same city. We just want to thank you for not forgetting where you came from and helping the city of Chicago in more ways than just being an inspirational rapper. You’re using your fame for good and not just to look good. You gave $1 million dollars of your personal money to Chicago schools and that’s something no one has done for us.”
If you are inspired by Chance’s work, he’s also searching for an intern specifically “someone with experience in putting together decks and writing proposals.”
The important part about all of this is that Chance the Rapper is an independent artist who doesn’t charge for his music yet always manages to find the time to give back to his community. We only hope that more artists will follow his lead.
For Media & Business inquiries re Communication needs, News Commentary, Copywriting, Brand Promotion & Social Media http://t.co/0m6d1PliAi
— JaVonni Brustow 👑 (@VonniMediaMogul) March 6, 2015
- Did Iggy Azalea Just Sneak Diss Her Ex Nick Young’s Sex Game? - April 26, 2018
- Pregnant Cardi B Cancels Summer Tour Dates because She Can “Barely Breathe Now” - April 26, 2018
- Macy Gray Says She Wants to “Make Kanye Great Again” - April 26, 2018
- Retired Porn Star Tyson Kobie Now Full Time Bodybuilder Named Terrance Harris + Real World Audition Tape - April 26, 2018
- Kanye West is Fanning Out Over Trump and the Internet is Not Having It - April 25, 2018
- This is What French Montana Thinks about the J Cole – Lil Pump Beef - April 25, 2018
- After Allegedly Beating Her A**, Fabolous & Emily B Spotted Out Together at Coachella - April 24, 2018
- #BuyBlack: Marc Lamont Hill Has a Coffee Shop in Philadelphia + T.I. has His Own Starbucks Alternative - April 24, 2018
- Glam Shots: ‘Bad Girls Club’ Star Tanisha Thomas is Engaged Again - April 22, 2018
- Accused Anti-Semitic DC Lawmaker Trayon White Threatens His Colleague Brianne Nadeau for Calling for Him to be Censured - April 21, 2018