Brandy Shades Monica Over Her Tribute to Whitney + Gets Dragged by Black Twitter
There’s no shade like rivalry turned friendship, turned rivalry again shade. It’s no secret that Brandy and Monica were pitted against each other during the height of both of their careers in 1998, but instead of feeding into the media’s lies, the two young women decided to come together and they earned their most successful single to date: The Boy Is Mine.
Things have changed over the last few years however, as Brandy and Monica have thrown petty jabs at one another on various occasions and today is no different, in fact, it just may be the most shadiest of all of them.
Today is what would have been music legend and actress Whitney Houston‘s 54th birthday and Monica took to Instagram and shared a photo honoring her:
Of course this did NOT sit well with the Vocal Bible, who was very close to Whitney. Brandy first shared a collage of various photos of Whitney and herself:
Brandy then shared a video of herself singing Whitney’s hit song, The Greatest Love of All, where she mentioned how she tried to mimic Whitney’s mannerisms and vocals:
Nippy, I wanted to be exactly like you… mannerisms and all… I didn’t have your Range but everything else I could do that you did I tried to do. Then It dawned on me, I can never do what you did exactly the way you did it and then I found myself being like myself because of everything you taught me! You said, be yourself and later on after you said that, I became my own artist but with your inflections. Happy Birthday… you live on in me and no one on this planet loves you the way I do.(yeah I said it because that is what I know because that’s what you told me) There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think of you.
She lastly shared the iconic photo from Whitney’s second studio album, Whitney, where she called her The Greatest of All Time:
None of that apparently sat well with fans of Whitney and Monica, who instantly took to Twitter where they started going in on Bran:
[Monica honors Whitney in IG post]
Brandy: I WILL NEVER FORGET THE TIME WHITNEY AND I DID CINDERELLA AND SHE LET ME HOLD HER PURSE ON SET
— Bitch, You Tried It. (@thewayoftheid) August 9, 2017
Brandy: “Excuse me, Whitney Houston was my idol and she loved me. It’s up to me to carry out her legacy.”
— Travis Scooter (@PBS_Impulse9) August 9, 2017
Brandy is in possession of the torch lit by Whitney? pic.twitter.com/vEaKFWdBo1
— Lush For Life ? (@KingBeyonceStan) August 9, 2017
There’s a BIG difference in Monica & Brandy’s posts about Whitney today.
Only one of them was actually about Whitney.
— You Know My Name (@LookAtDustin) August 9, 2017
Brandy apparently caught word of what was happening and she took to Instagram once more and let out a few frustrations:
- Michael B. Jordan Shows Off Six Pack Abs + Talks Empowering Women in Essence June 2018 Issue - May 18, 2018
- LISTEN: Jennifer Lopez Featuring Cardi B & DJ Khaled – ‘Dinero’ - May 18, 2018
- Emily B Reveals New Teeth Following Domestic Dispute with Rapper & Boyfriend Fabolous - May 7, 2018
- IT’S ABOUT TIME: Janet Jackson to Receive the 2018 Billboard Icon Award - May 7, 2018
- Khloe Kardashian & Tristan Thompson are “Fully” Back Together + Couple Spotted for the First Time in Public Since Cheating Scandal - May 5, 2018
- DJ Khaled Gets Dragged on Twitter for Saying He Doesn’t Perform Oral Sex on His Wife because He’s the King of the House - May 4, 2018
- WATCH: Nicki Minaj Releases Official Videos for ‘Barbie Tingz’ & ‘Chun Li’ - May 4, 2018
- Michael Blackson to Kanye West: If Slavery Was a Choice then So Was Your Wife’s Paris Robbery - May 3, 2018
- GLAM SHOTS: Rihanna Talks Reason for Launching Fenty Beauty, No Longer Being Friends with Drake & More in Vogue’s June 2018 Issue - May 3, 2018
- WATCH: Celine Dion & Deadpool Collide for a Hilariously Great Performance in ‘Ashes’ Official Music Video - May 3, 2018