Brandy Shades Monica Over Her Tribute to Whitney + Gets Dragged by Black Twitter
There’s no shade like rivalry turned friendship, turned rivalry again shade. It’s no secret that Brandy and Monica were pitted against each other during the height of both of their careers in 1998, but instead of feeding into the media’s lies, the two young women decided to come together and they earned their most successful single to date: The Boy Is Mine.
Things have changed over the last few years however, as Brandy and Monica have thrown petty jabs at one another on various occasions and today is no different, in fact, it just may be the most shadiest of all of them.
Today is what would have been music legend and actress Whitney Houston‘s 54th birthday and Monica took to Instagram and shared a photo honoring her:
Of course this did NOT sit well with the Vocal Bible, who was very close to Whitney. Brandy first shared a collage of various photos of Whitney and herself:
Brandy then shared a video of herself singing Whitney’s hit song, The Greatest Love of All, where she mentioned how she tried to mimic Whitney’s mannerisms and vocals:
Nippy, I wanted to be exactly like you… mannerisms and all… I didn’t have your Range but everything else I could do that you did I tried to do. Then It dawned on me, I can never do what you did exactly the way you did it and then I found myself being like myself because of everything you taught me! You said, be yourself and later on after you said that, I became my own artist but with your inflections. Happy Birthday… you live on in me and no one on this planet loves you the way I do.(yeah I said it because that is what I know because that’s what you told me) There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think of you.
She lastly shared the iconic photo from Whitney’s second studio album, Whitney, where she called her The Greatest of All Time:
None of that apparently sat well with fans of Whitney and Monica, who instantly took to Twitter where they started going in on Bran:
[Monica honors Whitney in IG post]
Brandy: I WILL NEVER FORGET THE TIME WHITNEY AND I DID CINDERELLA AND SHE LET ME HOLD HER PURSE ON SET
— Bitch, You Tried It. (@thewayoftheid) August 9, 2017
Brandy: “Excuse me, Whitney Houston was my idol and she loved me. It’s up to me to carry out her legacy.”
— Travis Scooter (@PBS_Impulse9) August 9, 2017
Brandy is in possession of the torch lit by Whitney? pic.twitter.com/vEaKFWdBo1
— Lush For Life 💫 (@KingBeyonceStan) August 9, 2017
There’s a BIG difference in Monica & Brandy’s posts about Whitney today.
Only one of them was actually about Whitney.
— You Know My Name (@LookAtDustin) August 9, 2017
Brandy apparently caught word of what was happening and she took to Instagram once more and let out a few frustrations:
- Amina Buddafly & Peter Gunz File for Divorce + Amina Says She Accepted the Situation 2 Years Ago - January 20, 2018
- Drake Surprises Fans with 2-Song EP ‘Scary Hours’ + Disses Joe Budden in ‘Diplomatic Immunity’ - January 20, 2018
- 50 Cent Threatens Ja Rule + Ja Rule Calls 50 a #TickleBooty B***h A** N***a - January 19, 2018
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Name Newborn Baby Daughter Chicago West - January 19, 2018
- Toya Wright Calls Out WE TV for Making Daughter Reginae Look Like a F***ing Brat on #GUHHATL + Reginae Quits - January 19, 2018
- Blac Chyna’s Lawsuit Against Kim Kardashian & Kris Jenner Has Been Tentatively Dismissed - January 19, 2018
- VH1 & Love & Hip Hop: New York’s James R. Being Sued for Use of a STOLEN Song - January 18, 2018
- BIIIH GET IN HERE: Orlando Brown was Arrested for Battery & His Mugshot Is a Drugged Out Mess - January 18, 2018
- Kim Zolciak-Biermann Clarifies Her Comments about Kandi Wanting to “Lick Her Box” - January 18, 2018
- Offset “Denies” Using Gay Slur & Apologizes for Offending Fans + People are Still NOT Having It - January 18, 2018