Bono Thinks Today’s Music is Girly and the Internet Wants Him to Shut Up
U2 front man Bono sat down with Rolling Stone to promote the group’s latest album Songs of Experience and ended up bashing the entire industry in the process. Usually when artists aren’t able to find success, they blame a shift of industry trends, which is fine because we all fall out of step from time to time. What Bono did however was take a misogynist approach to it by saying today’s music is girly which explains why not only his album sales are not what they would have been at one point in time but why rock and roll’s popularity has declined.
“I think music has gotten very girly,” Bono says. “And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that’s not good. When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars, whether it is with a drum machine – I don’t care.”
He adds, “The moment something becomes preserved, it is fucking over. You might as well put it in formaldehyde. In the end, what is rock & roll? Rage is at the heart of it. Some great rock & roll tends to have that, which is why the Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie has that rage.”
The internet has been less than pleased with his remarks slighting not only the music industry but the rest of our tastes with users like delaneykingrox on Twitter saying, “Hey #Bono, you want more anger in music? How about you force us to download another of your fucking unwanted albums again” or inquisitioneu who tweets, “Bono lives directly across Dublin Bay from me. On most days his ego blocks the sun from our garden.”
Remember that time Apple decided to just put U2’s latest album on all of our iPhones whether we wanted it or not? Yea… so not cool. His quote ranks as one of the worst quotes of 2017 by Paste Magazine. One thing he can have solace in is the fact that former President Obama said U2’s music ranked in his top songs of 2017 so at least one person is on his side even if he wants to go into 2018 a raging arsehole. At this point his ego could only be eclipsed by Mariah Carey. She is performing again tonight in Times Square. Let’s see if she decides to pull another diva stunt on national television.
- ‘Love & Hip Hop Hollywood’ Star Hazel E Has Emerged on Instagram with a New Face - June 24, 2018
- Eye Candy: Fitness Trainer & Music Producer Christopher Moore aka Phoenixx Reed - June 23, 2018
- King Agu from Bravo’s ‘Invite Only Cabo’ Gets Butt Naked On Instagram - June 22, 2018
- Rapper XXXTentacion Revealed to Have Died While His Girlfriend was Pregnant - June 22, 2018
- Today’s Lesson In Petty: When You Find Out a Person You’ve Never Heard of Blocks You - June 22, 2018
- Eye Candy: Miami Fitness Trainer Eric Nicoleau - June 21, 2018
- Keith Carlos has been Thirst Trapping on Instagram Again - June 20, 2018
- Matt Barnes Tells Tekashi69 He’s Going to End Up Dead Like XXXTentacion Trying to be Hard - June 20, 2018
- XXXTentacion Fans Riot & Jump Off Roofs in Chaotic L.A. Memorial Over Dead Rapper - June 20, 2018
- Heather Locklear Admitted to the Hospital for Psych Evaluation After Threatening Suicide - June 18, 2018