Bono Thinks Today’s Music is Girly and the Internet Wants Him to Shut Up
U2 front man Bono sat down with Rolling Stone to promote the group’s latest album Songs of Experience and ended up bashing the entire industry in the process. Usually when artists aren’t able to find success, they blame a shift of industry trends, which is fine because we all fall out of step from time to time. What Bono did however was take a misogynist approach to it by saying today’s music is girly which explains why not only his album sales are not what they would have been at one point in time but why rock and roll’s popularity has declined.
“I think music has gotten very girly,” Bono says. “And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that’s not good. When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars, whether it is with a drum machine – I don’t care.”
He adds, “The moment something becomes preserved, it is fucking over. You might as well put it in formaldehyde. In the end, what is rock & roll? Rage is at the heart of it. Some great rock & roll tends to have that, which is why the Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie has that rage.”
The internet has been less than pleased with his remarks slighting not only the music industry but the rest of our tastes with users like delaneykingrox on Twitter saying, “Hey #Bono, you want more anger in music? How about you force us to download another of your fucking unwanted albums again” or inquisitioneu who tweets, “Bono lives directly across Dublin Bay from me. On most days his ego blocks the sun from our garden.”
Remember that time Apple decided to just put U2’s latest album on all of our iPhones whether we wanted it or not? Yea… so not cool. His quote ranks as one of the worst quotes of 2017 by Paste Magazine. One thing he can have solace in is the fact that former President Obama said U2’s music ranked in his top songs of 2017 so at least one person is on his side even if he wants to go into 2018 a raging arsehole. At this point his ego could only be eclipsed by Mariah Carey. She is performing again tonight in Times Square. Let’s see if she decides to pull another diva stunt on national television.
- #SayWhatNow: George Clinton Says He Wants to Work with Cardi B - January 17, 2018
- Tyga Releases the Video for ‘Temperature’ with His New Kylie Jenner Lookalike - January 16, 2018
- Remy Ma’s Teamed Up with Chris Brown on ‘Melanin Magic’ - January 16, 2018
- No, Donald Trump, You Do Not Get to Call Other Countries Shitholes - January 12, 2018
- Kyle Richards Says NONE of the Men on Real Housewives of New York are Marriage Material - January 12, 2018
- Wendy Williams Made the Rudest, Most Foul Comment About Kylie Jenner’s Pregnancy… And She Deserved It - January 11, 2018
- #AsianSwirl? Is Angelina Jolie Dating a Cambodian Rapper? - January 11, 2018
- Rapper Behind the Song ‘Sellsz Drugs’ Gets 3 Year Sentence for Drug Trafficking - January 11, 2018
- Cardi B Exposes Rapper King Yella who Claims He Slept with Her as a Liar - January 11, 2018
- Kylie Minogue is Ready to Release Her Next Album Golden - January 11, 2018