Blackpink Makes A Grand Entrance With ‘Boombayah’ & ‘Whistle’
Well,If it isn’t 2NE1’s replacement/standin/understudy/tribute band. The hype for Blackpink has been quite immense once they were announced months ago. Their first offering, a mere dance practice video, garnered 5M views with ease. Did they live up to the hype?
YG Entertainment dropped two videos for their double A-side single album Square One which features Boombayah and Whistle. Let’s talk about Boombayah which is easily the stronger of the two singles. This Urban electro banger is club ready and sounds somewhat fresh despite it having so many trendy elements to it. The girls look great in this video. The styling is spot on and they look like stars. The video reminds me of Fire by 2NE1. It’s a bit safe but accessible for pop fans to digest. The choreography for the video is even reminiscent of I Am The Best. I wonder if that was I doubt it was on purpose but safe to say they will draw many comparisons to 2NE1 forever.
Now, Whistle however is a mixed bag of cool ideas both sonically and visually. The song itself sounds like three different songs put together into one. There is a lot going on in a song that seems to be a chill laid back anthem. The rap sections are plenty and some are good while others don’t land well. The video is confusing as they try to balance conceptual surrealism and urban street style. The choreography is nice whenever its actually shown.
The true test for these girls will be the live stages. They do have potential to be the next big thing in KPop but only time will tell. What do you think?
- NEW MUSIC: Mel C Finds A New Groove On “Anymore” - September 10, 2016
- Red Velvet End The Summer With ‘Russian Roulette’ Comeback - September 6, 2016
- K-POPNATION: Spica Goes Retro R&B On ‘Secret Time’ Comeback - August 30, 2016
- Britney Spears – Glory [Deluxe Edition] (Album Review) - August 29, 2016
- NEW MUSIC: Mollie King’s Heartfelt Solo Debut With ‘Back To You’ - August 24, 2016
- SM Unleashes’ Yuri & Seohyun’s EDM Masterpiece ‘Secret’ - August 24, 2016
- Exclusive: #WhoIsFHB? New Teaser Image Surfaces - August 23, 2016
- GLAM SHOT: 2NE1’s CL Goes Natural For Elle Korea September Issue - August 19, 2016
- K-POPNATION: Cosmic Girls Go To Infinity And Beyond In ‘Secret’ Comeback - August 18, 2016
- NEW MUSIC: CL Makes Her Boring US Debut With ‘Lifted’ - August 18, 2016