Adele’s “Black Friends” Comment Stirs Debate With Black Twitter
When she took the stage to accept her award for Album of the Year for 25, she was instantly over come with emotion, as she thought, like many others, that Beyonce would take home the honor.
After shortly thanking her fans and her team, Adele instantly shifted her speech to praise Beyonce, the woman she calls her idol:
“My artist of my life is Beyoncé. And this album for me, the ‘Lemonade’ album is just so monumental. It was so monumental and so well thought out and so beautiful and soul-bearing, and we all got to see another side of you that you don’t always let us see and we appreciate that. You are our light.”
She then added:
“The way that you make me and my friends feel — and the way that you make my black friends feel — is empowering. You make them stand up for themselves and I love you, and I always have and I always will.”
It seems that the “black friends” comment did not sit right with a few people of Black Twitter:
— theGrio.com (@theGrio) February 13, 2017
Adele: my black friends
Black twitter: pic.twitter.com/5iHZCucJuL
— Offset Flair (@DaGawdDMoney) February 13, 2017
That was nice of Adele but “the way you make my Black friends feel” made me cringe just a ‘lil, lol. Idk.
— Philip Lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) February 13, 2017
But there were many, like myself, who understood exactly what Adele meant:
Adele thanked Beyonce for empowering the black women in her life. That’s a woman that loves her friends. Idk how y’all can twist that.
— mac. (@thedemihero) February 13, 2017
I appreciate Adele for recognizing this. She literally said thank you for how you make my black friends feel bc she knows. She knew.
— fat and boujee (@delafro_) February 13, 2017
Adele was acknowledging the fact that Lemonade was intended to empower black people, specifically women. She was touched by it #blackfriends
— SHYNIN (@Im_SHYNIN) February 13, 2017
- Too Short Says He’s Being Extorted after Woman Accuses Him of Forcing Oral, Anal & Vaginal Sex - January 23, 2018
- WATCH: Jhene Aiko Featuring Rae Sremmurd – ‘Sativa’ Official Music Video - January 23, 2018
- Ray J “ACCIDENTALLY” Shares Video of Himself Cheating on Pregnant Wife Princess Love with 2 Women - January 22, 2018
- Sheree’s #PrisonBae Threatens NeNe During Phone Call + NeNe Reveals That She & Tyrone Dated? - January 22, 2018
- Amara La Negra Addrsses Colorism + Talks Being an Afro-Latina & More with ‘The Breakfast Club’ - January 22, 2018
- Ciara Tells Women to “Level Up & Don’t Settle’ If They Want to be Married #BlackTwitter GOES OFF on Her - January 21, 2018
- Amina Buddafly & Peter Gunz File for Divorce + Amina Says She Accepted the Situation 2 Years Ago - January 20, 2018
- Drake Surprises Fans with 2-Song EP ‘Scary Hours’ + Disses Joe Budden in ‘Diplomatic Immunity’ - January 20, 2018
- 50 Cent Threatens Ja Rule + Ja Rule Calls 50 a #TickleBooty B***h A** N***a - January 19, 2018
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Name Newborn Baby Daughter Chicago West - January 19, 2018