Adele’s “Black Friends” Comment Stirs Debate With Black Twitter
When she took the stage to accept her award for Album of the Year for 25, she was instantly over come with emotion, as she thought, like many others, that Beyonce would take home the honor.
After shortly thanking her fans and her team, Adele instantly shifted her speech to praise Beyonce, the woman she calls her idol:
“My artist of my life is Beyoncé. And this album for me, the ‘Lemonade’ album is just so monumental. It was so monumental and so well thought out and so beautiful and soul-bearing, and we all got to see another side of you that you don’t always let us see and we appreciate that. You are our light.”
She then added:
“The way that you make me and my friends feel — and the way that you make my black friends feel — is empowering. You make them stand up for themselves and I love you, and I always have and I always will.”
It seems that the “black friends” comment did not sit right with a few people of Black Twitter:
— theGrio.com (@theGrio) February 13, 2017
Adele: my black friends
Black twitter: pic.twitter.com/5iHZCucJuL
— Offset Flair (@DaGawdDMoney) February 13, 2017
That was nice of Adele but “the way you make my Black friends feel” made me cringe just a ‘lil, lol. Idk.
— Philip Lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) February 13, 2017
But there were many, like myself, who understood exactly what Adele meant:
Adele thanked Beyonce for empowering the black women in her life. That’s a woman that loves her friends. Idk how y’all can twist that.
— mac. (@thedemihero) February 13, 2017
I appreciate Adele for recognizing this. She literally said thank you for how you make my black friends feel bc she knows. She knew.
— fat and boujee (@delafro_) February 13, 2017
Adele was acknowledging the fact that Lemonade was intended to empower black people, specifically women. She was touched by it #blackfriends
— SHYNIN (@Im_SHYNIN) February 13, 2017
- Michael B. Jordan Shows Off Six Pack Abs + Talks Empowering Women in Essence June 2018 Issue - May 18, 2018
- LISTEN: Jennifer Lopez Featuring Cardi B & DJ Khaled – ‘Dinero’ - May 18, 2018
- Emily B Reveals New Teeth Following Domestic Dispute with Rapper & Boyfriend Fabolous - May 7, 2018
- IT’S ABOUT TIME: Janet Jackson to Receive the 2018 Billboard Icon Award - May 7, 2018
- Khloe Kardashian & Tristan Thompson are “Fully” Back Together + Couple Spotted for the First Time in Public Since Cheating Scandal - May 5, 2018
- DJ Khaled Gets Dragged on Twitter for Saying He Doesn’t Perform Oral Sex on His Wife because He’s the King of the House - May 4, 2018
- WATCH: Nicki Minaj Releases Official Videos for ‘Barbie Tingz’ & ‘Chun Li’ - May 4, 2018
- Michael Blackson to Kanye West: If Slavery Was a Choice then So Was Your Wife’s Paris Robbery - May 3, 2018
- GLAM SHOTS: Rihanna Talks Reason for Launching Fenty Beauty, No Longer Being Friends with Drake & More in Vogue’s June 2018 Issue - May 3, 2018
- WATCH: Celine Dion & Deadpool Collide for a Hilariously Great Performance in ‘Ashes’ Official Music Video - May 3, 2018